6 April 2020

FOMO during LOCKDOWN

There’s people baking bread and rolls, making turkish delight from scratch, making their own sanitiser, the #dontrushchallenge, the #sarichallenge, the #dalgonacoffeetrend and so on and so on and we get it, everyone is trying to make the most of these uncertain times.
I want to know what happened to the #stayathomeanddonothingchallenge or #donttakepicsofyourfoodchallenge and my personal favourite #dontcombyourhairforaweekchallenge.

I’m not “throwing shade”, I’m just saying if you haven’t done all these weird and wonderful things and if a triple layer death by chocolate ganache covered cake isn’t on your menu today, that’s okay.
It’s easy to feel like you are missing out on so much when you’re stuck at home, eating some CoCo Pops, thinking I should have made the damn rolls. It’s easy to look at all the things you aren’t doing and get depressed about it, (anyone else feel terrible about not building a new water filtration system during lockdown) and it’s easy to compare your lives to others, damn I’m stuck here working from my dining room table which I share with my 2 kids and husband while some people have an entire home office to themselves.
FOMO is normal, just don’t make a home and live there.



Don’t get so consumed by all the things you aren’t doing that you forget all those things that you are getting right, like, getting out of bed, taking out the trash, keeping your video off in Zoom VCs’ and making sure your kids don’t shave off their eyebrows and if they did, making sure you take lots of pics to embarrass them with one day.

You know what’s so unique about the circumstances we find ourselves in today, is that there isn’t any precedent, meaning there are no rules about what’s right and what’s wrong. (of course there’s the rules about the lockdown) but there’s no rules on what you HAVE TO DO, so if you’re like me and prefer to be an observer rather than a doer or if you don’t feel the sudden urge to document everything that’s happening in your life on social media, then that’s okay.

PS I am not doing absolutely nothing during the lockdown, I have a very successful virtual bookclub with 8, no, now 7 members and we haven’t had a single bookclub meeting yet, but you know what that’s okay too.

No comments:

Post a Comment