21 February 2019

Tips to find the perfect Foundation for You

This post has been requested a few times by one of my friends, so Trishy this one's for you.

For me there's just a few steps I need to follow to pick the perfect foundation, here they are in no particular order:

#Always try out a new shade in natural light - have you ever been to a makeup counter tried on something, bought it but only to go home and realise oh no this isn't the correct shade. This happens far too often and can be avoided by just taking a step outside before buying. If you're at a mall and you are really keen on the product, you can pop outside really quickly and check out how the makeup looks in natural light.
Some brands also oxidises - changes colour after application, something I find happens a lot with darker shades, so you might find that walk outside to reveal a whole different colour on your skin, one you might not be so keen on purchasing.




#My next tip is work with your skin not against it and by this I mean consider the type of finish you want and sometimes this can mean investing in other products to give you that finish. Let me explain further.
So if you're like me and have a super oily T zone you might need a mattifying primer for just this section because if you use a dry finish foundation it could leave the outside of your face with some dry patches. On the other hand if you are using a quick drying matte foundation ( my favourite is the Estée Lauder Double Wear Total Coverage) then make sure you apply extra moisturiser to the dryer areas of your face.



#Many people ask me if price matters when it comes to buying a foundation the short answer is yes and no.
I say this because there are some great affordable brands out there that has fantastic ranges but for me I found the best ones are the ones that cost a little more. This doesn't mean I won't purchase a more affordable brand, it just means I don't mind splurging on what I know works for me. Also you have to consider how many uses you actually get out of it.
Let's do some math - A R600 bottle of foundation that lasts let's say 2 months with daily use equates to R10.00 use, wouldn't you say that's great value for money considering this is something that you're putting on your face?
Also shopping when items are on sale, makes a huge difference. I once bought a R99 tube of foundation that oxidised way too much and got 1 use out of it before I passed it on to a friend... Now that was an expensive lesson right there.

#Ask for take home testers, I know many brands have in store testers but sometimes it's easier to try something in the comfort of your own home. I know Mac offers tester pots but don't be afraid to ask other brands as well. It's better to try a foundation a few times before committing to purchasing because most of the higher end brands range from R450 updwards and returning opened make up can prove to be a tad bit difficult.

#Find your happy medium
Oh the possibilities, there's liquid, cream, powder and  mousse foundations. Find what works for you. The best thing is you get so many different coverage options in the different mediums like liquid doesn't have to mean super full coverage with a cakey finish and powder can offer full coverage and is very easy to use.



#Try, Try and try again
When you're really into finding the right match it's best to try out a few finishes, brands colours etc. Don't be afraid to try without buying. I know that all the amazing products out there can be so overwhelming but do a little research. Make a list of what you're looking for in a foundation and start searching firstly online for some reviews and ideas on what products will fit the bill.
Also don't be persuaded into purchasing something because someone else says it looks good on you, make sure you are happy with how it looks.




Do you have a foundation finding tip or story share with us below:

1 comment:

  1. Aaah thank you Jannie ���� excellent read!!

    ReplyDelete