24 February 2019

The beauty products you really DON’T need to buy

I am a self-confessed shopaholic, my life’s motto sounds pretty much like the 7 rings lyrics “I see it, I like it, I want it, I got it”, so it’s no surprise that I’ve bought and tested all the items on this list.

I am sorry to say this but you can live without these items and if you really MUST HAVE them, there’s so many affordable DIY options.

Sheet masks

Now, I love me a good moisture masking session as the next beauty babe and I have tried a few sheet masks from different brands, however I haven’t witnessed any radical, skin perfecting results from any of them. With an average price of R50.00 each, these are hardly considered affordable and for what you get out of it, it isn’t worth it in my opinion. 

Most skincare products are only able to offer great benefits if they are on your skin for a long time, think serums, treatments and moisturisers. Rather save your coins on the sheet masks and opt for cheaper DIY alternatives with natural ingredients like the ones below.

Lip exfoliating products


I bought two different types of these and wrote a review of one here which you can check out, needless to say I am not impressed. The other I tried was very affordable but also not worth it.
You could do a better job with brown sugar and honey, a wet toothbrush or a damp face towel.

Eyeshadow primers

This is just unnecessary, I know, I know, the Primer Potion fan club will have my head for this but I’m not saying you don’t need to prime your eyelids, I’m saying just use your concealer because there aren’t that many affordable eyeshadow primers out there that does the job better than your concealer.


Hot cloth cleansers

I’m not going to lie, the one product I used was amazing, my skin was moisturised and it removed about 90% of my makeup. However it was overpriced, considering the size and how long it lasts.
You can purchase virgin coconut oil for about R50.00 for 500mls… to make the awesomely effective hot cloth cleanser below.


Refreshing facial mists

I’m not talking about makeup setting sprays as most of these have a different set of ingredients to specifically increase the wear time of our makeup. I’m talking about the refreshing mists that’s supposed to give your face a pick me up during the day. Essentially most of these are made up of 95% water and essential oils which make them smell amazing. I personally love the citrus ones and the one I use is R95.00 for 60mls. There are so many recipes online for these, SaneshMakeup has introduced many to her rose water spray on her channel, here’s my own variation below:

No comments:

Post a Comment